NCERT - 7 - Science :: Soil
Go To: NCERT-Science-Grade 7
- Lesson Plan
- Additional Aids
[Contributor - Lakshmi Seetaraman]
Objective: To teach the children that soil is an inseparable part of our life.
Subtopics to be covered:
- Soil Profile (layers of soil)
- Soil types
- Properties of soil
- Soil and crops
- Students get to know various layers of soil which are called horizons.
- They get to know that soil is classified as sandy, clayey and loamy and the best topsoil for growing plants is loamy.
- They get to know that percolation rate of water is different in different types of soil. It is highest in the sandy soil and least in the clayey soil.
- They know that some important climatic factors affects the soil profile and bring changes in the soil structure.
[Author - Kripa S]
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzNF2YyqQxJ-djBuXzJHLVpiMVE (JEPC Board) (Hindi Medium)
[Contributor - Anu Nived]
[Contributor - Kripa S]
1. Take a little soil. Break the clumps with your hand to powder it. Now take a glass tumbler, three quarters filled with water, and then add a handful of soil to it. Stir it well with a stick to dissolve the soil. Now let it stand undisturbed for some time. Observe the layers of soil and take notes.
2. Invite students to bring in a small amount of soil from their yards or from places around their communities. Make sure they label where they got the soil. Divide the students into small groups and have them compare and contrast the soil. Why might one soil be darker than the other? What might make one soil reddish in color? Where in the community might you find drier soil or sand? Have students discuss and write down their ideas.
3. Have students plant seeds in the soil near their home and observe how they grow. Which soil is best for plants? Which soil is worst? If possible, try experimenting with different seeds such as grasses, flowers, and vegetables. Different plants grow best in different kinds of soil.
[Contributor - Nitin Garg, Sagar Prithvi]
[Contributor - Sagar Prithvi, Tarun Sharma]